January of 2016 was transformational in my life. During one of my routine morning walks, I noticed a banner that attracted me towards doing more research about mindfulness and yoga. That’s when I decided to attend the Art of Living’s Happiness Program which helps experience a mix of yoga, breathing exercises, meditation and practical wisdom and sets a platform on how to live in the moment. That week long training was exhausting, yet transformational. The program definitely helps gain more confidence to take on situations, more energy to engage with other people and awareness to remember the little things that add more to ourselves.
Mindfulness practice decreases activity in the parts of the brain responsible for fight-or-flight and knee-jerk reactions while increasing activity in the part of the brain responsible for what’s termed our executive functioning.
Research has found that mindfulness training alters our brains and how we engage with ourselves, others, and our work. When practiced and applied, mindfulness fundamentally alters the operating system of the mind. Through repeated mindfulness practice, brain activity is redirected from ancient, reactionary parts of the brain, including the limbic system, to the newest, rational part of the brain, the prefrontal cortex.
Harvard Business Review Articles written by Project Leaders such as Rasmus Hougaard, Jacqueline Carter and Gitte Dybkjaer talk about ‘spending 10 minutes a day on mindfulness’ to subtly change the way we react to everything. Through their article they mention that ‘a diligent approach to mindfulness can help people create a one-second mental space between an event or stimulus and their response to it. One second may not sound like a lot, but it can be the difference between making a rushed decision that leads to failure and reaching a thoughtful conclusion that leads to increased performance. It’s the difference between acting out of anger and applying due patience. It’s a one-second lead over your mind, your emotions, your world.’
My Happiness Program taught us that ‘though everyone is born unique, we all possess certain traits that set us apart from the rest. These traits define who we are and how we respond to situations.’ Often, we end up clinging onto the ones that do more harm than good and end up undervaluing ourselves. The fact however remains that we are all unique in our own ways and only need to ignite that dormant passion and give a boost to our persona. This is where personality development comes in.
Personality development is nothing but the act of moving from an inert and disinterested state of existence to a zealous, motivated and joyous living one. It’s is the act of celebrating your uniqueness without hesitations and boundaries, but only with more enthusiasm and liveliness.
9 Personality Development Tips
1. Be as positive as a proton: A proton can never lose its positivity as so can’t you! It just gets covered by stress which saps your energy. Staying positive will help you overcome the toughest of challenges while attracting more positivity and opportunities.
2. Be more passionate: The best way to get any work done is by being passionate about it. Let your passion drive your efforts and you’ll be able to achieve excellence in life.
3. Handle your emotions…with care: If life is a roller-coaster ride, then make sure you are enjoying it to the max. Don’t let your emotions take control of situations but learn to get a grip on them. This will help you stay centered and calm during challenging situations.
4. Share a little, care a little: Learn to be more compassionate! The next time you or somebody else commits an error, let them off the hook without holding a grudge. Broaden your perspective that we all are evolving continuously and that no one’s perfect. This outlook will help you accept yourself and others better.
5. Praise the one in front of you : When we praise someone’s qualities out of the feeling of completeness, then it elevates our consciousness and brings enthusiasm and energy. It helps the same qualities blossom in us too and we become better individuals.
6. Communicate effectively: We communicate either through our presence or by expressing our feelings. Bring clarity in your communication and you’ll see people respond to you better, and more than often favorably.
7. Be a lion in the face of danger: In the face of an adversity, standing up to the challenge will make your chances of survival higher. Don’t give into pressure and face every challenge confidently. Either you will overcome the adversity or learn something invaluable.
8. Possess the quality of patience: Patience is the secret ingredient for becoming a winner. Feverishness and prompt reactions will do more harm than good. Remember to stay calm and patient to remain stress-free and for making wise and swift decisions.
9. Learn the Art of Breathing Right: Last but not the least, breathe properly. Often largely ignored, breathing holds the key to a stress-free and positive life.
So, practice your own technique of mindfulness and build your confidence and boost your enthusiasm. Promote a zealous outlook towards life by imbibing positive thoughts and actions. Please feel free to let me know about your mindfulness journey.
Thanks for your time!